- Your privacy is important to us, and so is being transparent about how we collect, use, and share information about you. This policy is intended to help you understand:
- Who we are, our official role and our legal basis for processing;
- What data we collect and how we use it;
- How we collect the data;
- How we share the data we collect;
- How we secure your data;
- How you can access and control your data;
- What happens if we change our policy.
Who are we?
- We are Emerge Venture Lab Ltd. (“we”, “us”, “our”, “Emerge Venture Lab Ltd.”, “Emerge Education”) and operate under the name of Emerge Education.
- We are committed to protecting and respecting the privacy of our users. If you have any questions about how we process personal information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at Edspace, Block D, New City College – Hackney, Falkirk Street, London, N1 6HQ.
- Emerge Education is a hands-on early stage investment, growth services, and consulting firm focused exclusively on the education technology sector.
- When you share data directly with us, we act as the Data Controller for that data. There may also be cases where we act as a Data Processor on behalf of third parties, such as partners in our acceleration programmes.
Legal Basis for Processing Your Data
- We have the following legal bases for processing your data:
- Legitimate interest: when we collect data that you provide to us through our website, we are fulfilling your legitimate interest of finding out more about our services or receiving information through our newsletter. When we process your data to provide our service, we are fulfilling your legitimate interest to provide you or your company with the services necessary for investment, growth, or innovation.
- Contractual: if we are in a contractual agreement with your company to deliver a service to you, we may need to process the data listed above in order to deliver that service. Where appropriate, we may also serve as a data processor in order to deliver services according to contractual agreements with third parties.
- Legal obligation: where necessary, we will collect and store personal data to fulfil our legal obligations as an investment firm.
What data do we collect and how do we use it?
Information you provide to us through our website
As a visitor to our website, you may provide us with:
- Your full name;
- Your email address;
- Your phone number;
- The country you live in;
- Information about your company as part of the application process.
How we use this information
- Make decisions about your company’s participation in our programme.
We use this data to
- Deliver our service to you as requested
- Improve our service based on your feedback in completed surveys.
- Communicate about updates and changes to our services.
If your company joins one of our programmes, we may store:
- The name and address of your company;
- Your name and email address.
We use this information to
- Deliver our services to you;
- Communicate about updates and changes to our services;
- Charge you for our service.
If you are an investor in Emerge Education portfolio companies, we are legally obligated to collect and store certain types of personal data through a standard KYC (‘Know your customer’) form, including a copy of your identification data.
Information we collect automatically when you use our service
We collect the following data
- Your behaviours when you visit our website. For example, we track where you click and how long you spend on our site. This data is not linked to any other piece of data and cannot be used to identify you as an individual.
How do we collect the data?
- As a participant in our programmes, you give us data about yourself and company directly through our desktop and mobile site or by email. As a visitor to our website, you enter your data directly to our website.
Sharing with third parties
- We share information with third parties that help us operate, provide, improve, integrate,customize, support and market our service:
- Organisations which support the operation of our service are as follows:
- Mailchimp, Google Suite, Slack, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform, Airtable, Hotjar, Eventbrite, Notion, physical filing systems, printed attendee lists. Please visit the websites of these services to understand more about their privacy policies.
- If you have any questions about how we use these organisations as subprocessors of your data, please contact us by emailing email@example.com or writing to us at Edspace, Block D, New City College, Falkirk Street, London N1 6HQ.
- We will not share your data with any other third parties unless you give us explicit permission to do so, or unless we are required to by law or court order.
- Cookies are files with small amounts of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer’s hard drive.
How do we secure your data?
Information storage and security
- We use data hosting service providers in the United Kingdom to host the data we collect, and we use technical measures to secure your data.
- We carry out assurance on the organisations we use as data sub-processors that are hosted in the United States. These organisations hold either the EU-US Privacy Shield or model contract clauses that state that EU companies can use them with assurance that they store data in a secure way.
- We have rigorous patching policies that ensure our machines, systems and servers are always secured by up-to-date protection. All of our staff receive regular training in data protection best practice.
How long we keep information
- We do not keep personal your data longer than necessary. We have strict data retention policies that are updated regularly. When your data is no longer required, we delete it safely and securely.
If something goes wrong
- In the case of a breach of our own systems or the systems of one of our sub-processors that could compromise your data, we will notify you straight away. We will work to secure your data as quickly as we can.
How do you access and control your data?
- You have the right to request a copy of your information, to object to our use of your information (including for marketing purposes), to request the deletion or restriction of your information, or to request your information in a structured, electronic format. In order to do any of these things, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Edspace, Block D, New City College – Hackney, Falkirk Street, London N16HQ.
Accessing, amending or deleting data
- You can also contact us directly through the details above to amend or correct your data. The process of deletion is gradual: initially deleted data is moved to a ‘deleted’ area in case it was deleted in error. After a delay, it is then permanently deleted from our main systems.
- You can request to know what data we hold on you by contacting us through the details above. We will respond in line with the timelines set by the General Data Protection Regulation. You can request that we delete all data that we hold on you.
Changes to this policy